CAMRA LocAle - promoting pubs that sell locally-brewed real ale, reducing the number of 'beer miles', and supporting local breweries.
CAMRA LocAle is an initiative that promotes pubs stocking locally brewed real ale. The scheme builds on a growing consumer demand for quality local produce and an increased awareness of 'green' issues.
The CAMRA LocAle scheme was created in 2007 by CAMRA's Nottingham branch which wanted to help support the tradition of brewing within Nottinghamshire, following the demise of local brewer Hardys and Hansons. There are currently 125 CAMRA branches participating in the LocAle scheme which have accredited hundreds of pubs as LocAle pubs which regularly sell at least one locally-brewed real ale.
Everyone benefits from local pubs stocking locally-brewed real ale
• Public houses as stocking local real ales can increase pub visits
• Consumers who enjoy greater beer choice and diversity
• Local brewers who gain from increased sales
• The local economy because more money is spent and retained locally
• The environment due to fewer ‘beer miles' resulting in less road congestion and pollution
• Tourism due to an increased sense of local identity and pride - let's celebrate what makes our locality different
Accreditation is at the sole discretion of the local CAMRA branch and subject to the licensee agreeing to the following...
• That they will endeavour to ensure at least one locally brewed real ale, as defined by the local branch, is on sale at all times
• Only real ale, as defined by CAMRA, can be promoted as a CAMRA LocAle
• Where the standard of real ale sold falls below an acceptable quality, accreditation will be withdrawn
• That accreditation can be withdrawn at any time at the discretion of the local branch
• That should accreditation be withdrawn, or should the licensee withdraw from the scheme, all LocAle publicity material must be removed from the pub and the licensee cease using the CAMRA LocAle logo.
How do I find a LocAle Pub?
Pubs which have been given LocAle status by their local CAMRA branch can display the LocAle sticker on their windows/doors. The stickers have the year for which they have been accredited as LocAle pubs by their branch. They may also have posters up in the pub and on the pumps that are serving locally brewed beers there will be LocAle pump clip crowners.
The Kingdom of Fife Branch of CAMRA define LocAle as real ale that has been produced within the boundaries of the Kingdom of Fife. The following breweries currently produce real ale that is classed as LocAle
|St Andrews Brewing Co||St Andrews|
The following pubs have been accredited by the Kingdom of Fife branch as an LocAle establishment
|Pub Name||Location||Date Accredited||LocAle Brewery|
|Ship Inn||Limekilns||Feb 2017||Brew Shed|
|Railway Inn||Lower Largo||September 2017||Eden Mill, St Andrews Brew Co|
|Commercial Inn||Dunfermilne||September 2017||Eden Mill, Loch Leven|
|Hillend Tavern||Hillend||November 2017||Eden Mill, Loch Leven|
|Crown Tavern||Kinghorn||November 2017||Craft Originale|
|Woodside Inn||Cowdenbeath||May 2018||Beath Brewing|
|Guardbridge Inn||Guardbridge||July 2018||Eden Mill|
|The Criterion||St Andrews||July 2018||Eden Mill, St Andrews Brew Co|
|Boudingait||Cupar||July 2018||Eden Mill|
|Whey Pat||St Andrews||July 2018||Eden Mill|
|St Andrews Brew Co||St Andrews||July 2018||St Andrews Brew Co (Cask & Keg both on sale)|
|Bruce Arms||Limekilns||July 2018||Inner Bay|
|Strathkinness Tavern||Strathkinness||July 2018||Strathkinness|
|Ship Tavern||Anstruther||July 2018||Eden Mill, Ovenstone 109|
|Pub Name||Location||LocAle Brewery|
|West End Bar||Pittenweem||Ovenstone 109|
|Beer Kitchen (innis & gunn)||St Andrews||Inveralmond|